Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Oh snow

I've always thought snow was so beautiful and wondered what it would be like to live in it...now I know. I love watching it fall outside, and I suppose it would be absolutely perfect...if I were a HERMIT!

Last week Noah had a check-up at the doctor. It was snowing. I typically don't drive when it's snowing. I always wait for Christian to come home and let him handle it, but Christian was at work and I'd already canceled 2 appointments because of snow, so I had to do it.

It usually takes me 20 minutes to get to the doctor. This time it took me 60. The drive home was even worse. It was snowing harder, so I was just creeping along. Cars whizzed past me honking their horns. I wanted to pull over and wait for someone to come get me, but I was too afraid to leave the only clear path carved by the tires of the car ahead of me. So I kept going straight. It was the only thing I could do.

I considered just stopping, turning on my hazard lights and calling 911. I would have been happy to let the police drive me home. I knew this would only get me rear-ended, so I kept driving that straight line.

Eventually I got to the street I needed to turn left on to go home. There was NO way I was going to make it across 3 lanes and into the left turn lane! Instead, I slowly turned right into a grocery store parking lot. I parked and called Christian to come get me.

I was in tears by this point (hysterical according to Christian) and so grateful that my little car-hater Noah was asleep. I don't think I could have handled the both of us crying!
Noah and I waited at the grocery until Christian got off work and got a ride to come get us.

I'm pretty much done with driving in the snow. I think I'll just hitch a ride on a snowplow next time.

If you have any tips for driving in the snow or for not being such a scaredy-pants, please share!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Annie! I'm sorry. :( You are a brave girl so I'm sure you'll get over it soon and be a snow-driving pro in no time. But this is coming from a girl who is scared to drive on ANY road. So, I will be watching to see if someone else has any advice for not being a scaredy-pants. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow is so scary to drive in and I learned to drive in the snow! I think the key is just practice and getting used to it. I think you were smart to just go as fast as you felt comfortable! Brake slow, and turn slow also help you from sliding. You'll be used to it by the end of winter i'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete